Amazon Introduces ‘Sunshine Deals’ on Kindle eBooks
Amazon unveiled a discounted pricing promotion on over 600 books in their Kindle ebook store last week. The “Sunshine Deals” offer books from small and mid-size publishers at prices of 99 cents, $1.99, and $2.99. The two-week promotion is an opportunity for Amazon and publishers to test out cheaper ebook prices.
The Sunshine Deals have already had a big impact on the Kindle bestseller list. eBook MarketView monitors the list and they’re reporting that the average price of all titles on the Kindle bestseller list has dropped from $7.75 to $6.43 in just 3 days.
As of right now, here are the top ten books on the paid list:
1. A Little Death In Dixie by Lisa Turner – $0.99 (Sunshine Deal)
2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins – $5.00
3. My Horizontal Life by Chelsea Handler – $1.99 (Sunshine Deal)
4. Summer Secrets by Barbara Freethy – $4.99
5. The Help by Kathryn Stockett – $9.99
6. Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley – $2.99 (Sunshine Deal)
7. Catching Fire (Hunger Games #2) by Suzanne Collins – $7.70
8. Mockingjay (Hunger Games #3) by Suzanne Collins – $7.14
9. Dixie Divas by Virginia Brown – $0.99 (Sunshine Deal)
10. Buried Prey by John Sandford – $12.99
Personally, this is a trend I would like to see continue. I especially love it when publishers price the first book in a series at .99 cents or $1.99. It makes me much more likely to try something new and, if I like it, I have no problem purchasing the subsequent books at higher prices. For example, I noticed the first book in Eoin Colfer’s Artemis Fowl series is part of the Sunshine Deals. It’s a great book, and I’m sure people are going to read it and then immediately want to continue the series.
How about you? Do you look for ebook deals? Have you taken advantage of Amazon’s Sunshine Deals?
Follow me on Twitter @kristendaemons